Re: QR Steam Restoration

> C17 1000 (ex Redbank Museum) was moved to Ipswich Workshops on Thursday 12
> August. It is apparently to be restored to working order by QR.
I was lucky enough to tour Ipswich Workshops the day after it arrived.  The
whole area is being turned into a heritage park with the steam loco works as
a centrepiece.  They are doing the unthinkable (here down south) and
employing people purely to look after the steam loco fleet.

They have 2 A10 locos from the 1860's (one going), Garratt 1009, a DD17
(Blue Baby, being overhauled), a Yankee AC16 (in bits under restoration) and
2 brown C17's.  (have I got them all?)

All locos are to be restored or are going. In the former wooden car shops &
out the back there are about 10 diesel locos of most withdrawn types along
with plenty of wooden cars (mostly in poor condition).

Part of the setup here is to train steam fitters for the future.  According
to the supervisor, most fitters prefer Redbank workshops because the job is
easier, it takes a special kind of person to do up the steamers!  Ipswich
W/S is well worth a visit, and they will readily take you on a tour around
the place but make sure you ring before hand.  QR have a refreshing
attitude - providing an expanding service.

Craig.