Re: QR Steam Restoration

Craig Potter wrote:

> They have 2 A10 locos from the 1860's (one going), Garratt 1009, a DD17
> (Blue Baby, being overhauled), a Yankee AC16 (in bits under restoration) and
> 2 brown C17's.  (have I got them all?)

And 2 BB18 1/4's and (I think) a PB15. I heard something about the C19
as well, though I'm famous for misremembering such things.

> Part of the setup here is to train steam fitters for the future.  According
> to the supervisor, most fitters prefer Redbank workshops because the job is
> easier, it takes a special kind of person to do up the steamers!  Ipswich
> W/S is well worth a visit, and they will readily take you on a tour around
> the place but make sure you ring before hand.  QR have a refreshing
> attitude - providing an expanding service.

I'd hazard a guess that it's cheaper to keep on staff restoring rolling
stock and infrastructure (and providing good PR and help skills
diversification) than it would be to do The Redundancy Thing.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland