Re: Footy Trams and Trains (was Re: Photos X47, 8124, progress at Appleton Dock)

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:43:21 +1000, "John Wayman"
<trecker@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote in message
>37BFC3C4.A166FEB5@omni.com.au">news:37BFC3C4.A166FEB5@omni.com.au...
>
>> Shame on you all! I don't support Geelong, but there are two words which
>> suggest why all railfans should - football special. :)
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>
>With the changes in football, we have seen the demise of special tram
>sidings at Essendon, and Lakeside Oval, and heaps of additional tram
>services to serve suburban grounds. Special trams still serve Optus Oval and
>the MCG.

I remember travelling on special football trams to/from Brunswick St
(Fitzroy's ground) - what about Junction Oval and Glenferrie.  Did
they run special trams to those grounds, or rely on the adjacent
railway stations?

>There are still special trains waiting at Richmond after games at the MCG
>and South Geelong after games at Kardinai Park.

And ... if your posting refers to Optus Oval, shouldn't it say Shell
Stadium instead of Kardinia Park.

Cheers...JD
Not a football supporter at all - at least not while Richmond continue
to finish in the bottom four :-)