Re: 'Australian Railway Enthusiast"

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:32:29 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
wrote:

>I think that the ARE mag is trying to be everything at the same time and in fact is being not much at all, and at the same time. It needs to decide
>whether it wants to be an historical type mag or a news mag. If the latter then they might as well give up because Rail News Victoria is leaps and
>bounds out in front of all others and at the moment only seems to be going further away. That means that it should concentrate on being an historical
>mag and doing it properly. I disagree with you that the young only want contemporary, most will wish to gain an insight into the past after they have
>got to appreciate the present.

I do think that there is an alternative to simply news or history.
The US magazine CTC Board, whilst having some pages equivalent to loco
sightings, has excellent articles on sections of railway lines,
complete with listings of good places to go to photograph the trains.
There is also a wonderful section on photographs, with fine printing.
It was the quality of the photographic (and their reproduction) which
first led me to subscribe.

Agree with all the previous comments about the latest ARE Magazine.
It was a shocker - but then Newsrail has also taken to printing
photographs on a double page spread which are not capable of that size
reproduction.  And Digest has continuing problems with accuracy and
grammar.  Unfortunately ARE is not alone....

I have been an ARE member since 1966 or so - sadly disappointed at the
recent issues of the magazine.

Cheers...JD