Re: Indian Pacific hits freight train - Who's the Responsible Investigating body?

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:41:43 GMT, gonoNOCRAP@bigpond.com wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 02:07:02 +1000, David Johnson
><trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>

>Come on David the sand on Cowan bank thing was a major cop out i do
>not believe for one second the whole train was insulated from the
>track circuit the probability of that would be infinitesimal that
>story was to appease the press!!!
>regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)

I don't know the background to this one, as I wasn't lurking here when
it happened, but I can tell you that a freight train load of salt
which derailed near Preston, England, two years ago did indeed knock
out all the track circuits, and the London - Glasgow main line was in
chaos for days because of it.

regards

--
Mike Roebuck, Riehen, Switzerland  icq#7018252
'53 M Y* L-- KQ+ C c++ B11 Sh11 FCYork SSWFC R(Basle)