Re: Services on City Rail Interurbans

David Johnson wrote:

> Railway Rasputin wrote:
>
> > The setup of the trains would make it almost impossible to do.
> > With the trolley service how would you get it up and down steps?
> > With the buffet style, where woud you put it?
>
> It would have to go into the middle of the consist, as 8 cars is a long way to
> walk through a train.  One idea might be to put a single deck dining car between
> the two four car blocks allowing passengers to enter from each end.
>
> > And how would you power it?
>
> V sets have 415V motor/gens
>
> > Plus the services are now packed as it is.
>
> You would need to add a car.  You could not remove existing seating.  I can't see
> it being viable on all stations commuter runs.  It could possibly work on express
> commuter, or off-peak all-stations runs.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

I am no expert on V sets. (If there is an 'Urban driver please respond.)
Don't the V set cars have to work in 2 car units?
I have been told that they are a very similar setup to K sets.
If so, they could use the 415 to power the extra car BUT it would be
classed as an emergency feed. With that comes a problem. If the other
half of the train needs the emergency power ie a control positive feed,
it can't be done.
As i said I am no expert on V sets so I could be telling lies.

In another direction, Wasn't there a design for parcel van for V sets?
That might be an idea but it would involve "building" it.

rgds