Re: Lilydale (and Macleod)

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> Why did they go out of favour? They didn't go out of favour in NSW, and
> it is good system (especially since removal of a half pilot staff is
> also an effective way of preventing the normal signalling from
> functioning, e.g. for track maintenance work or dealing with
> emergencies).

Agreed but in Vic it was not easy to get someone to get them together especially
when the sg sections entailed a fair bit of driving usually whilst a train cooled
its heels at a loop somewhere probably with in impatient Wodonga driver on board.
We found it easier to just issue an order to proceed and the train controller
would merely place a blocking jack in place preventing any other moves just in
case the signalling was fixed in the interim by the extremely efficient
signalling maintenance staff in the north east.

David Langley.