Re: Lilydale (and Macleod)

MarkBau1 wrote:

> The term "pilot staff" was always a bit of a misnomer in Victoria, you still
> had to have a pilotman, (he was effectively a human staff) All the pilot keys
> did was secure the home departures to stop. With the pilot keys or staffs in
> his possesion the pilotman was assured than no train could enter the section.

And I don't believe that they were used much, certainly since 1972. Corrections
will be noted but I was involved in signalling failures from that time until 1989
and I don't recall them used. I withdrew them occasionally but only to ensure
that they actually worked whilst demonstrating the system to signalling
apprentices.

> I believe the term pilot keys and pilot staff were used interchangably but
> please correct me if I'm wrong.

The same I would reckon but pilot keys is a rare term in Victoria.

David.