Re: More Mile End Control - What about Austrac and the original NE radio channels?

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.306.37B938AC@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.306.37B938AC@commslab.gov.au...

> Unfortunately theres more to it than just the channels in use.
> The Victrak Radio system is based on Motorola Micor Base Stations and
Motorola
> Syntrex radios.
> Its a proprietary system and is incompatible with the radio systems used
by
> all the other systems , most of which are Philips or Siemens.
> Its also a very old system and likely to become obsolete anytime.
> ARTC really needs to try and pick some sort of Radio system which is as
> compatible as possible with all the other systems currently in use on its
> lines  and for which radio gear is readily available at reasonable cost.
> Whilst NRC have radios that can operate just about everywhere,no-one else
does
> and its simply not practical to expect that other operators should have
to fit
> AWARE radios to their locos.
> The only thing going for Mobilesat is that it works everywhere in
Australia
> and if the other systems could be talked into using it , then we would
finally
> have a single radiocomm systems that all Australia Railways could use.
> I dont really know what the answer is , but what we currently have , ie a
> differant radio system in every state,and in some states like NSW
multiple
> radio systems just isnt the answer.

ARTC have already conducted a trial in association with a equipment
supplier of Satellite phones between Albury & Kalgoolie.

Reasons which are driving ARTC so search for something else include the
high cost in Victoria for the leased Telstra circuits between each Radio
Base site and Melbourne (Centrol), (2 pairs for each site) and the high
cost of connecting the Base sites across the TAR.

AFAIK the fibre across the TAR was installed by Telecom and paid 50%/50%
Telecom/Australian National.  However, currently the ARTC does not have
access to 50% of the capacity of the fibre, which means that effectively,
it's a very expensive way of connecting your base sites.

Its also worth noting that FV are currently trialing the use of SMR
(Statewide Mobile Radio) for train to base radio on the Hopetoun & Yaapeet
corridors at present.

The biggest problem for Satellite Phones as far as this gunzel is
concerned, is the loss of hearing TO's & TC12's with the scanner!
   :o(

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.