Re: status - beyond Cranbourne ?

David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote in message
37ACFED1.D3344DCB@omni.com.au">news:37ACFED1.D3344DCB@omni.com.au...
> track could be extended 600m beyond the current terminus.
>
> That has been in the pipeline for years, and the main reason the Up Home
> at Leongatha (~20m beyond the end of the line) was left in place.
>
> > David
Really!
I thought it was left there for operational reasons.
As the Vline passenger train was still running at the time that rails where
being salvaged from beyond Leongatha,which was probably at that time worked
under siding conditions by Vline loco hauled rail recovery trains,it would
seem fair that you would not want a train rolling into the yard while the
pass was at the platform,or stabled in the yard.
It was very much a cowboy operation {rail recovery} at the time, but the
rails had been promised for use on I think the Merbein-Yelta line and the
pressure was on.
I know that the platform lever was recovered for use at Cranbourne when it
[the lever]was destroyed by vandals.

--
Lineman
Speak Lineman