Re: status - beyond Cranbourne ?

Andrei Souprounovich <s9505836@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
Pine.SOL.3.96.990806202000.22528A-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au">news:Pine.SOL.3.96.990806202000.22528A-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au...
> Does anybody know if the line beyond Cranbourne is in limbo/going to be
> revived/or dead.  I travelled that way in a car this week and noticed:-

This line was labelled "closed indefinitely" by the PTC about 2 years ago do
the deteriorating bridges and track condition around the Koo Wee Rup
marshlands (Cranbourne - Lang Lang mainly).  This is also the main reason
why the South Gippsland Railway will not be able to run steam engines until
further notice due to the fact that K160 can't get through.  The big problem
with this situation is that neither the PTC or SGR were going to pay for it
(mainly because the SGR simply could not and can not afford it for a very
long time; and the PTC is a stubborn as an ass).  However, there are big
rumours flying around that Freight Victoria may be reopening the line to
Nyora (and possibly Leongatha) for freight purposes.