Re: Cityrail fare rises suck

In aus.transport on 4 Aug 1999 19:33:14 +1000
C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote:

>Of course, but I was never saying it didn't. Most people use cars, and
>that's where the myth lies as far as being cheaper to drive instead of use
>the trains *where it's appropriate*. Not everybody can make effective use of
>public transport, but for those who can, driving instead is ludicrious and
>definitely not cost-effective. That's in addition to the environmental and
>other issues.

So.. who can?

I gave an example of why *buses* are silly for me.  The cost is high,
the journey time two to three times the bike trip.  And that's me
"acting like a car", no lanesplitting or other bike-only behaviour.

And I have a bus that goes from my door to work.  Where I previously
worked, if I had adjusted my working hours to the available transport
I'd have had to take 2 buses and it would have cost me around $5 *each
way* with half of that being on Westbus - no weekly ticket available.

The only time public transport in Sydney is really viable is if you have
a trainstation within walking distance at each end of your every
journey, or a travelpass and all your travel is within the Government
bus area, and you don't want to carry anything of size (such as the
weekly shopping).

HOw many people in Sydney does that really cover?  How many of those
people who clog the M4 does that really cover?  I would sometimes use
the M4 rather than bits of Paramatta Rd, and it didn't cover me.

Hint - where are the major growth centres of Sydney?  West.  Where are
the trains and Government buses. Not West.  Where are the major
employment centres for people in the West?  Not the City centre...

Like I say - automatic 125cc scooters on a car licence with low rego
and 2rd party.  With a no pillion requirement, how much 3rd party
damage can a little scooter do?.  Would make a hell of a dent in
the traffic at least in the summer :)

Zebee