Re: Cityrail fare rises suck

In aus.transport on 4 Aug 1999 19:33:14 +1000
C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote:
>In <slrn7qa47e.h0.zebee@zipper.zip.com.au> zebee@zip.com.au (Zebee Johnstone) writes:
>
>>SO we have 60c+30c+1.92 = $2.82 per round trip to work.  Takes me about 30
>>minutes.
>
>You forgot to include insurance, which on average is about $1000 give or
>take a few hundred. Not sure how the costs on insurance run for motorcycles
>though. An average of $1000 per year for insurance on a car works out to
>about $3 a day.

$80.  A year.  I don't insure it comprehensively it's only worth
5 grand tops.

>And you also forgot the cost of your license, which also depends on what
>type of license you have. It might be a small daily cost, but it's a cost
>all the same, and has to be factored in along with insurance.

ONly if I don't ever have a bike.  WHich I will, it's a leisure
vehicle
too, and is needed for things other than commuting.

For example, if I want to get something from the big BBC Harwarehouse,
public transport from my place to the Burwood one is ugly
indeed.

>Motorcycles are always going to be *much* cheaper to run than cars, but most
>people have cars, not motorcycles, so your costs aren't very relevant to the
>main thrust of the discussion.

Why?  because cars are all there is?  People could buy a cheap bike
and be better off than using public transport.  They could
sell the car even :)  Or more realistically have one car one bike
rather than two cars as many do.

Zebee