Re: XPT speeds VIC [was Fast Link Sydnet To Gosford]

David Bromage wrote:

> PETer and susAN (petanREMOVE@ion.com.au) wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what speed the XPT does in VIC.
>
> It's allowed 130km/h on any track where a locomotive hauled passenger
> train is allowed 115km/h, subject to local restrictions (i.e. curves). The
> same applies to the Sprinters on broad gauge.

But that doesn't always mean that the Sprinters are *limited* to 130....
I've been in one Sprinter doing 135km/h around Rockbank, and another doing
around 140km/h at Chewton.
In the former, the driver said that at that time (early '94), he held the
record for Sprinters, which was 152km/h.
(In both cases, I was sitting up the front, in the "obersver's" seat, looking
across at the speedo).

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers