WAGR Tank Engines

John Wayman certainly started something here. The ARHS ran Dd592 for 10
years culminating in its last run on August 4 1995 from Midland to
Mooliabeenie (1st crossing loop past Gin Gin on Midland line) and return.
Unfortunately the boiler certificate had expired by then and on arrival back
at Midland one of the axles scoured and it limped back to Forrestfield (the
old Westrail loco depot) where it has been ever since.
However Clyde Engineering ( the new tennants) would like to see the "Dead
Duck" out of there so we will have to look at the axle to prepare it to come
back to the ARHS Museum at Bassendean.
It was a terrific loco which typified the class serving the commuters of
Perth back in the days. We used it on City Circle trips and it ventured in
to the country on many occasions. A particularly memorable trip was double
heading with A1506 to Calingiri (on the Miling branch) in 1990 with 12 cars.
Dd596 is also preserved under cover at the Gosnells Railway Markets in the
Perth southern suburbs.
Regards
Noel Forster