Re: 81 at Leighton

John Duncan McCallum wrote in message <3725B160.DEBED2A@melbpc.org.au>...

>David & Jan Winter wrote:
>
>> Curent draft Metropolitan Freight Strategy plan earmarks a curved link
off
>> Fremantle bridge direct to North Quay. This is shown as having no
>> substantial current traffic to justify its cost, but required on
strategic
>> grounds.
>
>I would like to see that!

You can. It's on page 30 of the Perth Metropolitan Freight Transport
Strategy Discussion Paper, Fig 6. Contact Dept of Transport, Metro Strategy,
2nd Floor, 441 Murray St, Perth 6000 Fax (08) 9320 9497. Ph 9320 9320. Or
call Richard Crappsley on (08) 9320 9488. The copy I have belongs to the
Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale and my scanner is sheet feed (not flatbed) so
I won't scan it for you. There is also a more recent glossy.

The indicative route involves a re-alignment of Tydeman Rd, and major
re-alignment of Port Beach Road (through the 1960s North Fremantle Loco).
The line runs out well to the west along North Quay. Trains would need to
set back.

It looks like there's 600m of "bank" available, and the drop is about 10m.
1:60 uncompensated - sounds allright to me.

All that said, the strategy only talks in terms of reservations, not
construction. At the time, the NR trip working was not on the cards, and the
line looked like being abandoned. Now that it has traffic, it's a different
ball-park.

DW

What would the gradient be to reach the