Re: Signalling in Victoria

<<<<Hang on, if you get a medium speed aspect because of a loop coming up
surely the
medium speed is dependent on local regulations, i.e. its accepted medium speed
unless the book instructs us of a modification for this (or that) location.

I'm sorry, I can't make any sense out of this question/comment at all. You may
be getting confused with VR where there is a "medium speed" Under GCOR there is
no such thing as "medium speed" a bottom light simply tells you that you are
diverging and you are to proceed at the speed for that location.

<<  If there are only two possible routes ahead then each
light will give you route knowledge but that surely is just a coincidence
because
if there are three or more medium speed routes ahead then the one medium speed
aspect applies to all. >>

Not a coincidence because if there is more than one diverging route the signal
gets another light, this is why 3 head masts are common in the US, the top
light is for the straight road, the middle light is for the left most diverging
road, the bottom light would be for the right most diverging road. The key
point is that there is a separate light for each route, hence, route signaling.
I've never seen a installation that had 3 or more diverging routes but I would
assume they would keep adding lights.

<< . only worked where there was
just one diverging move. The best example was Footscray. >>

Albion was a much longer lived example.

<< You have to be careful trying to translate ideas between 2 and 3 pos
signalling in
Victoria. >>

Indeed you do, many people get confused. I was merely pointing out the problems
with Eddies definition if one was to apply them to VR signalling.

<<<<<<<Of course discs that applied to a number routes were always (probably
always but I'll bet someone has seen different) provided in conjunction with
point
indicators giving the exact route that had been set.>>>>

Oh there were lots of examples of discs taking you to multiple locations
without point indicators, granted it was the exception rather than the rule,
Flinders St was full of such discs.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/