Re: Signalling in Victoria

MarkBau1 wrote:

> Not a coincidence because if there is more than one diverging route the signal
> gets another light, this is why 3 head masts are common in the US, the top
> light is for the straight road, the middle light is for the left most diverging
> road, the bottom light would be for the right most diverging road. The key
> point is that there is a separate light for each route, hence, route signaling.
> I've never seen a installation that had 3 or more diverging routes but I would
> assume they would keep adding lights.

To my knowledge, and this was the situation in the 1950s, if you had
three heads,
the top light was for straight ahead, the 2nd light was "medium", which
meant
diverging, and the bottom light was for low speed moves, either because
of siding
conditions, or the tightness of the curves etc.
Of course, rules and definitions may have changed in the last 40 years.
My
information comes from a Kalmbach booklet named "All About Signals".

John McCallum