Re: Signalling in Victoria

David Langley wrote:

> Tony Gatt wrote:
>
> > Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:
> >
> > > I was looking at the Flemington Racecourse line.
> > Controlled from the Newmarket Panel, and the low speed light would work in lieu of
> > the medium speed arm when the showgrounds line was placed in "siding mode" by the
> > crosslock and lever "C" at Newmarket.
>
> The line is no longer placed in siding conditions and in fact hasn't for some years.
> Lever C whilst physically still there (I think) is not in the circuit.

Yes, hence I said "was"

*snip*

> > To the best of my knowledge, no signals are controlled from the rostrum.
> > I believe it is like a train controllers position. They inform the signalboxes of
> > what is going out/ coming in etc...
>
> Wrong. The person in charge on the rostrum does have control over the arrival signals
> from both directions. There is what looks like a GRS Table Interlocker provided and it
> was photographed when the Signalling Record Society visited there a couple of years
> ago.
> The arrival signals are controlled because they can be held at stop when he wishes to
> delay the arrival of the next train say until the crowds on the platform have cleared.

Well, you do learn something new every day :)

I have seen no reference to it in any signalling documentation whatsoever, nor was any
mention of it made during a tour I had with a block & signal inspector. We saw every box
on the line, he made no mention of rostrum having control.

--
Thanks, Tony.

            Please Note: NEW LOCATION
     Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
------>> http://www.railpage.org.au/railpix