Re: Signalling in Victoria

I was looking at the Flemington Racecourse line.
I think this is how it works:

Newmarket, Post 48, three position home signal, normal route
indications (ie top arm straight, bottom arm diverge)
Dwarf 46 (from Up Broadmeadows to Down Showgrounds)

R197(A)

R201(A)

55(A), controlled from Kensington, I would assume to protect the
Ascot Road Level crossing when you shunt to the Flemington
Racecourse Line
(like the Upfield trains did in 1997)

R211(A)

R219(A)

Post 6.  Two home signals, Left Home for the down line to R233
(with calling on, but I don't know why you would want calling-on for this move).
Right Home for the Showground Platform (up line) to post 10.
The right home is controlled from the Rostrum.  I know the
Rostrum is on the platform (looks like a signal box) by what
for?  Why not just control this home from Signal Box H like the
other home signal?
>From the Refuge siding there is 7 which is a dwarf signal.
(also controlled form the Rostrum)

Next on the Down line is R233(A)

The Post 2, just a home signal to down line (again with
calling-on)
On the Up line there is Post 10.
Two home signals left home for the down line, right home for the
loop line (which as baulks?)

Then on the down line there is R247(A)
and on the loop line there is UR247(A)

Next there is Post 63.  Two homes one for No1 road, the other
for No4 road.
Then post 70, two homes again.  left is for No1 to No1, right is
for No2 to No1
(one wonders how to get into the end of No2 road)
On the up line (coming into Flemington Racecourse) there is a
dwarf signal (62)
for a movement to No2 (up to post 70), No3 or No4
And on the loop line there is a home signal to No4 road. (64)

Is the Up direction.
At the end of No1 road there is post 72.  Two home one from No1
to No1 to post 67
the other from No1 to No2 (again to post 67)
Post 67 has two home on from No1 road with must be fixed as
there is no movement
out of there, and the other from No2 road to the Up line (to
R254)
At the end of No2 road there is a disc signal to No2 road.
No3 road has a dwarf signal to R254.
No4 road has a home and disc.  The home for the Up line (to
R254) and the disc to the loop line

Further up the Up line towards the Showgrounds there is R250(A)
on the up line and on the
loop line there is a "limit of shunt board"

Then post 12, just a home signal to the Showground Platform
(again controlled from the Rostrum)

R238(A) 1/2 way up the platform.

Post 14.  It has a home signal to the Up line (R226) and a dwarf
signal to the refuge siding (with a siding sign)

The R226(A)

R218(A) at stop, clear when the boom gates at Ascot Road are
down

R212(A)

R204(A) at stop for overlap.

The Post 42, a three position signal for a movement back onto
the Up Broadmeadows Line
and post 44 (dwarf) on the down line for the same move (over the
crossover on to the up line first)

So ar far as I can tell:
Kensington controls: 46,48,44,42,52 (Newmarket)
Signal Box 'H' controls: Points from refuge, crossover down to
up line. Home signal on post 6 (left), calling-on.
Rostrum controls all movements into the Showgrounds Platform.
Right home on post 6.  Dwarf from refuge siding, post 12.
Showground Signal Box controls: Up to Down line crossover,
points to loop line, post 2 and 10.
Flemington Racecourse controls: posts 62,63,64,67,68,69,70,72,73
and all points.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord