Re: Signalling in Victoria

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> I was looking at the Flemington Racecourse line.
> I think this is how it works:
>
> Newmarket, Post 48, three position home signal, normal route
> indications (ie top arm straight, bottom arm diverge)
> Dwarf 46 (from Up Broadmeadows to Down Showgrounds)

Well now, have you been reading the discussion about speed signalling. However, in
THIS case yes that is how it is.

> R197(A)
>
> R201(A)
>
> 55(A), controlled from Kensington, I would assume to protect the
> Ascot Road Level crossing when you shunt to the Flemington
> Racecourse Line
> (like the Upfield trains did in 1997)

Litho diagram No 29'1997 says that it is 52. But yes you have assumed correctly.
Probably will not get used again though because the Upfield's shunting were a
special case.

> R211(A)
>
> R219(A)
>
> Post 6.  Two home signals, Left Home for the down line to R233
> (with calling on, but I don't know why you would want calling-on for this move).

I have replied to Tony Gatt's posting regarding this.

> Right Home for the Showground Platform (up line) to post 10.
> The right home is controlled from the Rostrum.  I know the
> Rostrum is on the platform (looks like a signal box) by what
> for?  Why not just control this home from Signal Box H like the
> other home signal?
> From the Refuge siding there is 7 which is a dwarf signal.
> (also controlled from the Rostrum)

Again refer to my other posting.

> Next on the Down line is R233(A)
>
> The Post 2, just a home signal to down line (again with
> calling-on)

My previous comments apply here also.

> On the Up line there is Post 10.
> Two home signals left home for the down line, right home for the
> loop line (which as baulks?)

Yes but it wasn't always and the signal has not been removed because it would cost
money. It can remain probably fixed at red and won't cause any problems. These
signals replaced a dwarf signal during the alterations of Sept 1986 when the
trackwork on the line was rationalised.

> Then on the down line there is R247(A)
> and on the loop line there is UR247(A)

The loop line was provided because it helped ease the bottleneck of arrival trains
due to the trains in front still at the platform unloading their passengers. With a
train at the home arrival (Post 63) the next train could be turned down the Loop
Line towards the former Second Class platform. Departures got away OK and so there
was no need for a Loop Line for departures.

> Next there is Post 63.  Two homes one for No1 road, the other
> for No4 road.
> Then post 70, two homes again.  left is for No1 to No1, right is
> for No2 to No1
> (one wonders how to get into the end of No2 road)

Hand signal - always has been.

> On the up line (coming into Flemington Racecourse) there is a
> dwarf signal (62)
> for a movement to No2 (up to post 70), No3 or No4
> And on the loop line there is a home signal to No4 road. (64)

Leading to the former Second Class platform.

> (Is?) In the Up direction.
> At the end of No1 road there is post 72.  Two home one from No1
> to No1 to post 67
> the other from No1 to No2 (again to post 67)
> Post 67 has two home on from No1 road with must be fixed as
> there is no movement out of there,

There used to be prior to the removal of the crossover for the move. It was removed
due to the need to relay the point work anyway and the fact that with the reduced
train services, up trains departed the bottom end of No 1 to Melbourne via No 2
road. And have done so for many years.

> and the other from No2 road to the Up line (to
> R254)

Used regularly.

> At the end of No2 road there is a disc signal to No2 road.
> No3 road has a dwarf signal to R254.
> No4 road has a home and disc.  The home for the Up line (to
> R254) and the disc to the loop line
>
> Further up the Up line towards the Showgrounds there is R250(A)
> on the up line and on the loop line there is a "limit of shunt board"

Provided because with the provision of baulks on what was previously for down trains
only it saved the need to install locking between Flemington Racecourse Box and
Showgrounds Box. They simply fixed the signal at Showgrounds and put baulks on the
line thus preventing a train from getting to Showgrounds in the up direction..

> Then post 12, just a home signal to the Showground Platform
> (again controlled from the Rostrum)

See previous posting.

> R238(A) 1/2 way up the platform.
>
> Post 14.  It has a home signal to the Up line (R226) and a dwarf
> signal to the refuge siding (with a siding sign)
>
> R226(A)
>
> R218(A) at stop, clear when the boom gates at Ascot Road are
> down
>
> R212(A)
>
> R204(A) at stop for overlap.

Yes because there is insufficient braking distance between signal 42 and the fouling
point with the down Broadmeadows line. There used to be catch points in advance of
post 42 and they were removed in 1985. Prior to that time, signal R204 was in fact a
home signal with calling-on (for again the same reason as before) and was worked by
the Yard Master, Flemington Goods. During special passenger traffic times though it
was converted to an automatic signal.

> The Post 42, a three position signal for a movement back onto
> the Up Broadmeadows Line
> and post 44 (dwarf) on the down line for the same move (over the
> crossover on to the up line first)
>
> So ar far as I can tell:
> Kensington controls: 46,48,44,42,52 (Newmarket)

Yes

> Signal Box 'H' controls: Points from refuge, crossover down to
> up line. Home signal on post 6 (left), calling-on.
> Rostrum controls all movements into the Showgrounds Platform.
> Right home on post 6.  Dwarf from refuge siding, post 12.

Box H WORKS post 6 and it is CONTROLLED by the Rostrum for moves towards the
platform. In signalling parlance, the signal box from which a signal is primarily
worked is said to be WORKED from that box. If any other signalbox or other such
location has a joint say in whether the signal clears or not is said to CONTROL the
signal. You will have to watch the way you use the words "control" and "work" in
future postings.

> Showground Signal Box controls: Up to Down line crossover,
> points to loop line, post 2 and 10.

And 12.

> Flemington Racecourse controls: posts 62,63,64,67,68,69,70,72,73
> and all points.

Yes.

David Langley.