Re: Signalling in Victoria

Tony Gatt wrote:

> Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:
>
> > I was looking at the Flemington Racecourse line.
> Controlled from the Newmarket Panel, and the low speed light would work in lieu of
> the medium speed arm when the showgrounds line was placed in "siding mode" by the
> crosslock and lever "C" at Newmarket.

The line is no longer placed in siding conditions and in fact hasn't for some years.
Lever C whilst physically still there (I think) is not in the circuit.

> > 55(A), controlled from Kensington, I would assume to protect the
> > Ascot Road Level crossing when you shunt to the Flemington
> > Racecourse Line
> > (like the Upfield trains did in 1997)
>
> Yes, control was taken to Kensington when the signal box at Ascot Vale Road was
> abolished and the booms installed.
>
> > Post 6.  Two home signals, Left Home for the down line to R233
> > (with calling on, but I don't know why you would want calling-on for this move).
> > Right Home for the Showground Platform (up line) to post 10.
> > The right home is controlled from the Rostrum.  I know the
> > Rostrum is on the platform (looks like a signal box) by what
> > for?
>
> To the best of my knowledge, no signals are controlled from the rostrum.
> I believe it is like a train controllers position. They inform the signalboxes of
> what is going out/ coming in etc...

Wrong. The person in charge on the rostrum does have control over the arrival signals
from both directions. There is what looks like a GRS Table Interlocker provided and it
was photographed when the Signalling Record Society visited there a couple of years
ago.
The arrival signals are controlled because they can be held at stop when he wishes to
delay the arrival of the next train say until the crowds on the platform have cleared.

As for the calling-on on post 6, what happens if during the intensive race traffic,
the home signal fails to operate. Then the calling-on can be used and it saves the
signalman having to issue caution orders with the consequent delays to the race
traffic. That is of course why most if not all calling-ons are provided.

David Langley.