Re: Mark's Marvellous Map of Bendigo?

On Wed, 07 Apr 1999 13:42:42 +1000, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J
Sos) wrote:

>I wrote, and I selectively quote:
>
>> it looks shorter via CML/MBR.
>
>I found my '92 Grades book:
>
>Eaglehawk to Maryborough via Inglewood: 100.6km
>Eaglehawk to Maryborough via Castlemaine:  98.3km
>
>There's really nothing in it: I wouldn't have thought the distances
>were so close to each other.   The grades would be lighter via
>Inglewood as well (no Big Hill).
>

>Regards
>
>Yuri
>--
In terms of _additional_ track length that has to be maintained the
Inglewood route for Swan Hill trains to get to Geelong or Portland is
much shorter.

To elaborate -
That Bendigo - Castlemaine will remain is a given, irrespective of
whether single or double track.
All other track sections are essential _except_ Inglewood - Dunolly
and Castlemaine - Maryborough.  The proposal Mark describes gives the
same operational function without the need to maintain (or
standardise) Castlemaine - Maryborough.  Could that be the real answer
?

This could end up being of benefit to the Central Goldfields railway -
they might end up with an exclusive right of way into Castlemaine.

Regards,
David A. | Woodend, Victoria, Australia - Remove spamblock to reply