Re: Mark's Marvellous Map of Bendigo?

On 6 Apr 1999 07:25:55 GMT, (MarkBau1) wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I should have mentioned these are FV proposals. They would have no interest in
>where or how the pass operator routes its trains. If the pass operator wanted
>to go to Echuca presumeably they would have to pay for maintenence Bendigo to
>Echuca.

Given that FV are in the front-running for VLP, they may have an
interest.   Or.... Vic Gov gives them money to maintain Bendigo -
Echuca.

>Note I did not say you couldn't get from Swan Hill to Bendigo but rather a
>piece of track will be built so that goods trains could go straight from the
>Swan Hill line to Dunnoly or Melbourne. Think about it, where does 99% of
>freight, (wheat) from the Swan Hill line go? Geelong. Which way is easier to
>get to Geelong)? You avoid Malbourne.  Plus you would have the option of going
>to Dunnoly easily.

It's Dunolly actually (but it's spelt correctly on your map).

This proposal necessitates the installation of four mainline points,
two at Eaglehawk, two at Inglewood, something I thought the railways
tried to limit as far as possible.  OTOH, it creates two extra
triangles, which is useful for turning locos or whole trains or
running interesting excursions (how far can you go w/o turning an R
class?).

But what's wrong with the existing Swan Hill - Bendigo - Castlemaine -
Maryborough - Geelong?  No track construction, no extra points to
maintain, probably needs every 5th sleeper replaced (like Echuca -
Toolamba) to get it up to 80 km/h, but so does Inglewood - Dunolly and
Eaglehawk to Bridgewater.  IIRC, VicTrack was going to book out
Bridgewater to Inglewood last year (about the same time as Cranbourne
- Nyora); AFAIK these two lines can be used with 6 weeks' notice to
VicTrack.  Looking at your map (I can't find my grades book) it looks
shorter via CML/MBR.

>(sorry I mentioned Bridgewater)
No problem, I understood what you were saying (old "S" circulars
sometimes said Melbourne to Maryborough via Ballan).

>Actually running Deni, Moulamein trains via Seymour makes perfect sense to me,
>its shorter and it would make it easier to single track Kyenton to Bendigo, or
>maybe even Sunbury to Bendigo.

Yes and taps more regular trains into the food belt surrounding
Shepparton.

Regards

Yuri
--