Re: First Hillside, now Bayside

David McLoughlin <davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> writes:

> Clive Newall wrote:
>
> > As I recall:
> > The plans were for light rail along the rail line from Park St. <->
> > Upfield. After some monstrous roadworks at the Sydney Rd./Park.St/
> > Royal Parade intersection, the light rail would then have travelled
> > down Royal Parade & Elizabeth St. (Pity about rail service to the Zoo.)
>
> It's called the Route 56 West Coburg tram. Have you never seen
> it???????????????

Actually it is the Route 55 tram. But the current heavy rail station
provides a more viable non-car means of access to the Zoo from all
over the metropolitan area than the tram, which (travelling north)
only goes as far as Bell St.

And until the rolling stock is replaced, heavy rail is *much* nicer
for people in wheelchairs or with prams/strollers than trams.

Now that the Upfield line runs on Sundays & until approx. midnight,
it is particularly convenient, especially for the Zoo twilights.

And as for speed: The 55 tram takes about the same time to do
Flagstaff -> Royal Park as the train does, possibly a little
longer.

--
Clive Newall <crn@itga.com.au> / ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne Australia
"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"