Re: Wisconcin wants in,still!

Yuri J Sos wrote:

> When our utilities were sold off, part of the deal was a drop in
> charges or a rebate on your account and IIRC no increases till 2001
> (ie after the next election).  Even then the Regulator General will
> not permit cranking up of prices, but merely COL rises.

Transalta today announced immediate 13pc price rises for the 50pc of New
Zealand electricity consumers it has so far taken over. The inflation
rate here (COL) has scratched at 1pc since 1991. Yes. ONE per cent. When
the government last year ordered the privatisation of the previously 50
independent suppliers and generators, it was claimed this would cause a
massive price drop. Hahahahahhaha.

> Also after 2001, you'll be able to buy your electricity/gas from
> whichever company you wish, so the utilities won't be monopolies as
> such.

We were told that too. What has happened is that two US companies,
TransAlta and Edison Light & Power, have bought everything and can now
compete with each other to crank up power charges ever higher. TransAlta
is also taking over the gas network. We formerly had around 50 locally
owned power suppliers and generators who made very good profits. Now we
have two who are laughing all the way to their foreign owners with the
huge sums they are now taking out of New Zealand and the balance of
payments of this dying country is going even further into the red.

As I said, the problem here is that there is no law to stop monopolies
or duopolies price-gouging.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

Planning to catch the next plane home to Melbourne, if my NZ-born wife
will come with me.