Re: Wisconcin wants in,still!

MarkBau1 wrote, and I selectively quote:

>It seems to me that the new owners of VLF, (what is their official name
>anyway?) will be calling the tune to a large extent and make it hard for other
>operators to offer cut price rates.

I did email a reply to your other post over the weekend.

Freight Victoria is the successful bidder:  consists of RailAmerica +
Fluor Daniel + Macquarie Bank + Goninan.    Problem: Howard Smith,
owner of Goninans, wants to sell off Goninans as "there is little
prospect of new contracts."  Rumour has it that Goninans and Macquarie
Bank have yet to hand over their share of the purchase costs, but they
have till the end of this month to do so.  The rumour mill further
suggests that MPI has bought Goninan's share and is plonking down cash
for Dynon Loco Depot and all VLF's locos, which will then be leased
back to FV on a "power by the hour" basis  (hmmm, thinks ... if this
is true, I hope FV tied them up with exclusivity deals for these locos
or else ATN will have a ready "suace" of BG locomotives).

Try www.railamerica.com or www.motivepower.com for starters.

>When another operator runs on VLF tracks who will set the track access
>fee?   I can't believe VLF would have paid as much as they did if
>another body gets to set the access rates.
>
>I thought this privatisation would see the introduction of true "open access".

Oh, but it does...... anyone can run a train anywhere in Vic as long
as they pay the appropriate Rail Access Fee to FV, the lessee of all
non-electric infrastructure in Victoria for the next 15 years (from
the 1 May 99).  The fee will be set by the Regulator General, a
supercop set up by the Vic Gov to determine gas, electricity, water
and rail fees.

I agree with Rod, GN has to be sitting pretty at the moment.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos