Re: Wisconcin wants in,still!

(MarkBau1) wrote, and I selectively quote:

>What did FV buy if anyone can run over their tracks at a rate set by a 3rd
>party.

They purchased VLF's locomotives, rolling stock and a non-exclusive 15
year lease over the non-electrified infrastructure of V/Line or
VicTrack.

>Who pays for the track maintenence?

FV do.  The Vic Gov also pays them $25 million per annum to maintain
tracks that carry passenger trains to passenger train standards (ie
115 km/h).  Apparently other tracks will be maintained to 80km/h.

>Either FV pay for it but get a big discount of access fees, (or pay none at
>all)

FV pay "nothing" - it's their track for the next 15 years.  Other
users, from VLP to SRV to ASR to ATN to NR will pay FV track access
charges set down by the Government's Regulator General (obviously FV
will have a considerable input to setting these access charges).

>I think we are only getting half the story here, otherwise what's in it for FV?

At $163 million, a lot of people are wondering what's in it for FV:  I
suspect they intended to make a profit by growing the market and
increasing the number and tonnage of trains operated (Marinus van
Onselen talks of 10,000 tonne freight trains in an "Age" interview
(http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990329/bus/bus12.html) , but ATN's
intention to move into Victoria could wipe out that profit.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos