hybrid tilting train, Re: Modern high speed steam to Mackay.

On 18 Nov 1998 05:51:48 GMT, Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au>
wrote in misc.transport.rail.australia-nz:

>  An electro-diesel tilt train would have severe weight problems - it would
> need a 3000kw diesel engine AND a 25kv transformer, also rated at 3000+Kw.
> Thats a lot of dead wieght to haul around - at speed. Also remember that
> the diesel prime-mover will need to be pre-heated before being put under
> load, so some extra wieght in lube oil and water heaters and circulating
> pumps that operate independantly of the engine itself.

One proposal (not yet built) is a hybrid train based on the
German tilting diesel train SVT 605 (see my page
http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/ice/ict-d.html on it). This train
has 4 cars, 4 diesel engines, total engine power 2240 kW, power
at wheel 1700 kW (the rest goes into auxiliary power). The
proposal is to insert a transformer car in the middle with no
traction motors, it would have a pantograph and power the
traction motors while the diesel engines are turned off and also
allow regenerative braking when under wire.
Preheating would be electric (from pantograph or at standstill
with a cable). I don't believe that would be much extra weight
as the diesel train needs it anyway (to start after being stored
outdoors in winter).
Such a hybrid train would have the same power as a 4-car train,
for 5 cars (ie. 20% less rapid acceleration). It's not yet
built, but the diesel trains (currently being built) can be
converted to it.

--
tobias benjamin köhler _______________ tk2@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de