Re: hybrid tilting train, Re: Modern high speed steam to Mackay.

In article <72uh9g$pqf$1@rks1.urz.tu-dresden.de>,
  tk2@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de wrote:

> One proposal (not yet built) is a hybrid train based on the
> German tilting diesel train SVT 605 (see my page
> http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/ice/ict-d.html on it). This train
> has 4 cars, 4 diesel engines, total engine power 2240 kW, power
> at wheel 1700 kW (the rest goes into auxiliary power). The
> proposal is to insert a transformer car in the middle with no
> traction motors, it would have a pantograph and power the
> traction motors while the diesel engines are turned off and also
> allow regenerative braking when under wire.

I believe that this is the same type of train as was proposed by the Inter
Capital Express consortium for the Sydney to Canberra High Speed Rail link.
The ICT lost to the TGV, of course, but the TGV designers could certainly
learn a thing or two about interior design from the ICE!

As far as hybrid trains are concerned, another option is to have an EMU with
a diesel locomotive to haul it in the non-electrified areas, the diesel
locomotive being coupled/uncoupled at the boundary of electrification. A
similar proposal was put forward about ten years ago by Comeng for the diesel
hauled intercity services to the Southern Highlands and Illawarra areas of
NSW, however the relatively low frequency of service of Queensland coastal
services would almost certainly make that option uneconomical.

Rob

Sydney (Australia)