Re: hybrid tilting train, Re: Modern high speed steam to Mackay.

rffergus@socs.uts.edu.au wrote:
> I believe that this is the same type of train as was proposed by the Inter
> Capital Express consortium for the Sydney to Canberra High Speed Rail link.

Inter Capital Express (Siemens) was to use the standard 220km/h electric
ICT. There was also an option for the ICT-VT, the 200km/h diesel tiltint
train. There was a bit of a fuss late in the bids as the brief was
specifically Sydney to Canberra. The later idea to make it part of an
eventual Sydney - Canberra - Melbourne service caused some fur to fly as
Siemens said they would have prepared a different proposal, such as the
330km/h ICE3. The ICT would have resulted in a 5 hour journey from Sydney
to Melbourne, which could not cut into air travel.

It was Capital Rail (Adtranz) which had options for all electric, all
diesel or a hybrid system. A diesel version of the X2000 was designed as a
direct result of the 1995 tests by Countrylink. From this came the
proposal for the 300km/h diesel tilting train which formed the basis of
the Capital Rail bid.

Cheers