Re: NRC <> Brisbane to Sydney safeworking.

> Can you perhaps expand on that a bit, and tell us what DTC actually is
and
> how it works? Ta muchly.

Sure.  I didn't how widely known or used DTC was, which is why i didn't
give a detailed description in my first post.

The following is a post I made a few months ago, in response to a post
regarding safeworking in QR.

"Direct Train Control is similar (I believe) to a system used by CSX.
Describing it as a "poor man's CTC" would not be unjustified.
The system consists of a PC with the DTC control program in the Train
Controllers office (in this case, West, and Far West Control, Townsville),
and a laptop in the cab of each loco, running the DTC Loco program.
(Generally, Toshiba T1910 mono screen 486SX's. These are built into padded
carry boxes with magnetic bases, and plug into the loco's power supply.  OS
is good ol' DOS 6.2.)

Each section of line is marked by Block Limit boards, which are numbered
according the station or sidings initials eg. MI21 - Mount Isa,  CY21 -
Cloncurry,  JC16 - Julia Ck, HN22 - Hughenden.

To get an authority for a section, the train controller will give the
driver an 8 digit "Command Code", which the driver enters in, and gets an 8
digit "Drivers Code" which he transmits to Control.  Control then gives an
8 digit "Display Code" which produces a display in the Loco laptop, showing
the station, and block limit board they have authority to travel to.  If
the wrong number is entered by either side, the program will reject it,
untill the correct number is entered.   The system is "absolute block", ie
a train will get authority to the station where they will cross a train,
but will not get authority beyond, until the cross has taken place.
(Unlike train order).   The system is complicated, but mostly foolproof.
(Not entirely
driver has found out!!)  In the event of power failure, a similar system to
Train Order is put into effect.)"

Out of interest, DTC was put into place on the Hughenden-Mt Isa corridor
just before the ARHS ran a steam tour there about 2 years ago.  I would
have liked to have seen a laptop being used on the footplate of BB18 1/4
1079, but alas, someone realised that the average temperature on the
footplate would be too hot for the poor laptop to handle.  So the backup
system was used instead.

John McCandless
johnmc@topend.com.au
CLONCURRY  NWQ