Re: Ticketing (1970's) and Signalling

cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin GORDON) wrote in aus.rail:

>I am about to finish my signalling page and the ticketing
>page but need a little more information:
>
>On March 1 1976 the New Flinders St 'E' box was opened,
>starting the remote control of metropolitan signalling
>system.  But in 1964 (Nov 8) the new Camberwell puch button
>box was opened.  Which did realy start the remote control of
>surban signalling?

I believe it was neither actually.

Remote control operation started on a suburban system on 07/07/58 with
the commencement of Australia's first C.T.C. system between East
Malvern and Glen Waverley.

Look up "Victorian Railways To '62" page 175 for more details. I know
the book is rather hard to get these days, but there's bound to be a
copy around somewhere.......

Les Brown