Re: Ticketing (1970's) and Signalling

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> I am about to finish my signalling page and the ticketing
> page but need a little more information:
>
> On March 1 1976 the New Flinders St 'E' box was opened,
> starting the remote control of metropolitan signalling
> system.  But in 1964 (Nov 8) the new Camberwell puch button
> box was opened.  Which did realy start the remote control of
> surban signalling?

Niether actually started remote control signalling. E Box was only an
updated version on the old box that use to control that end of Flinders
Street yard. It was commissioned when the old sub station was pulled
down and that end of the yard remodeled.
Both boxes only controlled the immediate points and signalling
surrounding them.

> Sep 13 1980 control of surban trains from Metrol.  What areas
> did they control then and what has been added (part from the
> city loop in 1981)?

First Flinders street box to be taken over by metrol was B Box. The one
that use to be at the end of Plat 2 & 3. It was then either A (Spencer
St end of Flinders Street) or E box next taken over, then C Box and
Princes Bridge. After the initial take over of all the Flinders Street
operations, Metrol then took control of the New Spencer Street Box at
the West end of the Spencer Street Suburban platforms.
At the time that I finished my tour of duty (bloody compulsory transer)
on the sparks, Metrol had control of all Flinders Street. Spencer St
Suburban, Arden Street, North Melbourne Boxes. It contolled all points
and Sigs on the Port Melbourne, St Kilda and Sandringham Lines. All
other suburban boxes reported to Metrol and Centrol. Caulfield, Burnley,
Sunshine and Newport where still independent boxes, but that was 15 year
ago now, so alot has proberbly changed since I last lived and worked on
the railways.

> 12 Feb 1977 new '2' Box at Spencer Street opens. (Stage two
> of METROL).  Where was(is) this box?

It was at the down end of the suburban platforms. The platforms closest
to the old East Yard.

> Free surban travel on Sundays in Dec and Jan (81-82).  What
> for?

It started off as a promotion to get people to buy weekly tickets
instead of dailies. If you held a weekly you could travel with you hole
family for free on Sunday.

> Introduction of automatic ticket machines at St. Kilda and
> Heidelberg (March 21 1977).  What were these machines, and
> what were the ones at Museum?
> How long did they last (in operation) and where there any
> more stations to get them?

As far as I can remember, they were installed, but never used as they
were black banned from day one

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Chris Gordon
> http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

Gavin Potter.
e-mail:		gavpot@ozemail.com.au (home)
		gavin.potter@agric.nsw.gov.au (work)
"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.