Re: Article in Trains magazine

Michael Walker wrote:
> My few rides on the Melbourne-Sydney XPT have been rather rocky too so its
> not just Brisbane. I just assumed it was the track.

I travelled northbound on the Daylight on Thurs 21/5 and southbound on
the Overnight Sat 23/5.  The sitting cars rode *beautifully*.  All of
them, I took walks right through the train at various stages in Victoria
(straight track mostly) and NSW (curvy), and sitting cars were all quiet
and smooth.  The sleeping car is another story - it was harsh and noisy.

Seats throughout the train are poor.  The brochure says they're modelled
on those in the TGV - that's fine, but passengers don't have to sit 10+
hours in a TGV, do they?  The mere fact that a seat reclines does not
make it comfortable!

On the way to Sydney, I thought I might try upgrading to a sleeper, but
after encountering their rough ride, I decided against it.  Should have
done so....the seats are damn near impossible to sleep in.  And in car
C, there's a bright flouro light in the vestibule, which shines brightly
into the passengers when the other lights are out, it too impedes sleep.
On a train like an XPT, they should be more like the drivers seat in a
car - adjustable lumbar support, and adjustable head rest.  Yeah yeah I
know that all costs money - so does losing patronage because you can't
put up with uncomfortable seating.  The AZ/ACZ seats are still by far
the most comfortable I've encountered on a train (have experienced many
journeys in ACN, AJ, H etc, the AJ seats were also very good).  Reasons
are - it's built up behind the head and neck, sorta like a pillow
(whereas the XPT seats are cut away in this area), and those side
'wings' are comforable to lean your head against.

On-train staff were excellent, well presented and set high standards of
customer service.  Food was overpriced, standard was OK.  A lounge car
would significantly enhance the train, but not much chance of that....
Equipment on the train was good, toilets clean, treadle-operated
pneumatic doors worked well between cars, PA loud and clear.

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber