Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

In article Yuri Sos wrote....

> It's an interesting decision by SRV, Stuart how serious a problem are
> coal supplies at the moment?  I know it's been a problem at times, I'm
> told (by a regular driver) the stuff in use at Puffing Billy is not
> ideal, and when their existing supply is used there could be problems in
> getting any more.

We have no problems with coal at the moment.  There are still a number of
suppliers in operation at the moment, albeit of varying quality, but it
would appear that thanks to Steamranger, a more permenant supplier of good
coal from NSW may have been secured.

As for oil, what type.  Sure you can burn anything, but good quality oil
is not cheap, cruddy sump oil may contain solids that can block oil
injectors and the 'real stuff' the very thick bunker oil that used to be
utilised is probably no longer available.  Sure you can burn distillate or
virtually anything else, but thats like saying lets fire the K's on
briquettes,  there is a right and a wrong fuel for every application.

We'll lean on the shovel for a while longer yet

--
Stuart Thyer  Suzuki Gs1000s
Photographer  University of Melbourne