Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

In article <35629413.5095996@news.enternet.com.au>,
steam4me@enternet.com.au wrote:

> Yet Steamrail is converting their A2 *FROM* Oil burning *TO* Coal
> firing.  I think it's interesting that a company that has to make
> decisions on efficiency, economy, prompt timekeeping, etc., is
> converting to oil, while a fan group (where none of the above are or
> seem to be important) is running in exactly the opposite direction.

Ah yes, but not for the sake of opposite logic but maintenance.  Oil
firing traditionally is very hard on boilers, the on/off nature of oil has
a dramatic effect in terms of temperature fluctuations, which in turn, can
lead to problems with boilers cracking etc.  I believe that WCR is going
to use an oil system that allows for a finer control over the flow to
avoid these problems to an extent, but on something as fragile as an R
class boiler, it still is a risk.

As for Steamrail, we have the other consideration too of having to install
new facilities to deal with fuel oil handling, and this could not be
justified when all the other engines are coal burning.  We would need fuel
on site plus some way of providing fuel on any longer tours.

--
Stuart Thyer  Suzuki Gs1000s
Photographer  University of Melbourne