Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

David Bromage wrote:

> David A. (mercury@netspace.nospam.net.au) wrote:
> >Also, is there any truth to the rumour that the R will have a new,
> >larger tender ?  Somebody told me (who shall remain nameless as it is
> >probably a hoax) that a new 12 wheel tender was on the cards, similar
> >to those used by the S class streamliners, possibly using second hand
> >diesel bogies from SA with the motors taken out.
>
> It would be too long for the turntable.
>
> >The justification
> >was that extra capacity would be needed to get to Warrnambool without
> >a service stop.  Begs the question are we talking about water here or
> >just coal ?
>
> An R can make Warrnambool without servicing. It's only in preservation
> with 80km/h schedules (the speed limit imposed on the carriages) that
> means you need to take water at Colac. A fan trip to Warrnambool with an R
> is a slow slog rather than a fast sprint.
>
> BTW, will R711 be burning coal or oil? Will there be any South African
> style modifications to the firebox?

While visiting the WCR depot last year I was told that they were converting it
to oil and were getting some guy out from South africa to do some performance
enhancing modifications. I can't wait to see what the performance will be
like. Reading the British steam magazines I see that they too are heading
towards oil firing for their main line steam. I also understand that the RTM
are considering converting 3526 to burn oil.
Bob