R711 (and other WCR stuff)

G'day,

R711's boiler was test steamed at full working pressure yesterday (Tues
12/5), it had no problems, tomorrow (Thurs 15/5) it will be returned to
the frame (which is on wheels).

Ex-Overland car Nankuri arrived at Ballarat (along with 700, 711, 714,
ACZ255, BZ270) yesterday (Tues 12/5) hauled by B61 in an empty cars move
ex-Melbourne.  I'm told Nankuri has been in storage since 1985 and is in
very good shape - it's one of the early build Overland cars, in that it
has the vinyl over steel roof, and straight passageway.  This is
interesting in itself - I'm told the sleeping compartments have doors
AND curtains, reason being that you can't get into bed with the door
shut (hence the curtain)!  Anyone experienced this?  Were the Vinelander
SJ Roomettes the same?  Were these cars the first roomette sleepers
built in Australia? (hence the design defficiency, as later cars had the
staggered corridors)

ACZ255 is in for new trim (as per ACZ257) and some mechanical work, and
BZ270 is in for new batteries.  B61 is in for exam.  BRS222 is currently
being repainted, it will return to service with new trim and as a HEP
car only - no D/A.  Remaining orange cars are BS201, BS212, BRS223,
BRS225.

Cheers,
CH.
--