Re: Sale of QR 1700 class loco fleet to New Zealand

David Bromage wrote:

> Graham Duffin (duffin@pronet.net.au) wrote:
> >Apparently QR have sold the 10 remaining 1700 class locos to New Zealand
> >(Tazrail?).
>
> Tranzrail, owned by Wisconsin Central.
>
> >Also heard is that QR are to soon store their remaining 1502 class locos
> >at Banyo (approx. 25 remaining).  Does anyone know what will happen to
> >them? (Maybe sold?).
>
> If they go up for sale, you can bet Tranzrail will get some or all of
> them. They already have some overhauled, modified and in service as the DQ
> and QR classes.
>
> Cheers
> David

Wisconsin Central has around a 30% stake in Tranz Rail but tends to
dominate operational decisions.

DQs have a chopped nose, rebuilt cab, revised braking arrangements,
buffers removed, handrails revised and have been fitted with dynamic
brakes. QRs are less modified (they retain the high front hood) and are
used solely as slave locos. I would think it a good bet that the
remaining 1502s will go to Tranz Rail. 10 Westrail A and AB locos are now
in NZ awaiting rebuilding - there are rumours that they will end up in
Tasmania.

The 1700 class will be rebuilt and used as shunters.

Mark Gasson
Haddenham
UK