Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

Bob <gioia@fastlink.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>While visiting the WCR depot last year I was told that they were converting it
>to oil and were getting some guy out from South africa to do some performance
>enhancing modifications.

Yes, Phil Girdlestone (sp?) who I believe learned his skills working
for/with David Wardale of Red Devil fame.

>I can't wait to see what the performance will be
>towards oil firing for their main line steam. I also understand that the RTM
>are considering converting 3526 to burn oil.

Yet Steamrail is converting their A2 *FROM* Oil burning *TO* Coal
firing.  I think it's interesting that a company that has to make
decisions on efficiency, economy, prompt timekeeping, etc., is
converting to oil, while a fan group (where none of the above are or
seem to be important) is running in exactly the opposite direction.

As for the sleepers, I thought someone somewhere had told me that WCR
would like to get into the Mildura -Melbourne market on a regular
timetabled or excursion basis.  Having sleepers for an overnight
service seems a logical step (out overnight Friday, back overnight
Sunday) following in the footsteps/tracks of the Vinelander.

Regards

Yuri
--

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."