Re: Road Transport set for a boost in pay loads.

In article <6imook$5pg$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>,
  telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) wrote:

> bill@underpantscollective.com.au (Bill Evans) wrote a
> lot of points deleted to keep things short:
>
> Road transport may not pay it's fair share of using the
> roads, BUT they do pay BIG taxes on equipment,
> maintenance, fuel and employees.  The road transport
> industry equally argues about the HUGE amounts of tax
> payers money used to fund railways.!
> Like election time passenger trains in NSW for example.
>
> Whatever the arguments, they still move more non-
> mineral freight than government railways because they
> are quicker, responsive and far more flexible to the
> market out there.
>
> Rail SHOULD be moving most of it, but thanks to our
> "integrated" state rail systems over the years and the
> political grand standing and state parochialism we now
> have the present mess, which the trucking industry has
> capitalised on, no good blaming them.

I'm not. They saw a commercial advantage and took it, with considerable
Government support. My argument is simply to put both on an equal commercial
footing. Logically, long haul road transport should not be able to compete for
cost with rail. They are doing so because the deck is stacked in their favour.

Regards

Bill Evans