Re: Road Transport set for a boost in pay loads.

In article <6imook$5pg$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>#1/1,
  telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) wrote:

> bill@underpantscollective.com.au (Bill Evans) wrote a
> lot of points deleted to keep things short:
>
> Road transport may not pay it's fair share of using the
> roads, BUT they do pay BIG taxes on equipment,
> maintenance, fuel and employees.  The road transport
> industry equally argues about the HUGE amounts of tax
> payers money used to fund railways.!
> Like election time passenger trains in NSW for example.
>
> Whatever the arguments, they still move more non-
> mineral freight than government railways because they
> are quicker, responsive and far more flexible to the
> market out there.
>
> Rail SHOULD be moving most of it, but thanks to our
> "integrated" state rail systems over the years and the
> political grand standing and state parochialism we now
> have the present mess, which the trucking industry has
> capitalised on, no good blaming them.

No-one, least of all me, suggests that our rail systems have been well run in
the past. They haven't. My point is not so much to denigrate road transport as
to plan for the future. World demand for oil is expected to exceed supply by
2010. That will mean a very rapid escallation in fuel prices. If we do not
begin to move now to set up alternative means of long distance transport, we
will be caught with our pants down. A national integrated electrified rail
network is a must by 2010.

Regards

Bill Evans