Re: NSW carriage classes was Eight Car XPT sets on Brisbane XPT

Craig Haber wrote in message <355DF22A.55DE@harnessnet.com.au>...
>Krel wrote:
>> Confused ???
>> Good, so am I. ( what was the kweschun????)
>
>Did "DEB" stand for anything in particular (in similar fashion to DERM
>down here), or is it just another confusing "north of the border"
>classification?
>
>Cheers,
>CH.
>--
>Craig Haber
>albatross@harnessnet.com.au
>Manufacturing Systems Engineer (almost)
>Web Page Designer, Harness Racing, Railways, and Essendon Football Club
>fanatic
>http://www.harnessnet.com.au/

I have no idea. However, I can recall that during the one of the 1980s
Illawarra maintenance shutdowns, one of the PF or HPF cars on a DEB set
using the Unanderra - Moss Vale link to return to Eveleigh for maintenance
was destroyed by fire.  The ever faithful Illawarra Mercury reported the
story quoting SRA sources that the train was a "900 class dead set".

No wonder Stuart Littlemore used to give the Illawarra Mercury such a hard
time on Media Watch.

Seriously, when first introduced these cars were marshalled into sets and
allocated a set number like any other set of carriages and so DEB was
probably provided then as a classification just like SAB, SEB, SIB, SOB,
SUB, CUB, NIB, NAB, NOB, WAB, NCR, DUB, VUB, HUB, RUB, LAB, LOB, LUB, BOB,
BAB, BIB and BUB sets.

I am not making this up. There were BIB and BUB sets. If you put BIB and BUB
together you had 12 end platform cars.

The best source to understand the codings for NSWGR passenger cars (loco
hauled) is probably Len Clark's book "Passenger Cars of the NSWR".