Re: Eight Car XPT sets on Brisbane XPT

Craig Haber wrote:

> David Bromage wrote:
> > The B in XBR also means first class. I suppose it would make sense to
> > refurbish the XBs with the standard economy seating arrangement and recode
> > them XF.
>
> How does 'B' denote First Class?  And as I understand, 'F' denotes
> economy class?
>
> One (or few) things we did get right in Victoria are carriage
> classifications.  A for first, B for economy, C for guards/connies van,
> D for Van, then S for Steel or Spirit car, Z for Z type car, N for N
> type car, M for Railmotor trailer, R for refreshments etc etc.  Can
> someone please explain the NSW method to me, because it confuses hell
> out of me!

I don't say that there was any real logic to it but if you use the following you
will get some sort of an idea of how it worked.
B  First
F  Secind or Economy
C Composite
F  Buffet
AM  Sleeping Car
HO   Passenger Guards Van
HG   Goods  Guards Van
L  Lavitory/toilet fitted
There may be other examples that others may remember. The codes were 2 or 3
letter and included one of the above letters to indicate the type of car it was.

Bob