Re: Melbourne TVMs

countryd@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have had the chance to experience these monsters. During my brief
> stay, I was using the 57 tram a lot, TVMs were just being introduced
> while I was there. Many time I saw the out of service sign on the
> screen. They say that you must have a ticket to traven, what happens if
> the machine is not working? Interesting test for a court case I would
> think.

Thats probably because the 57 tram hadn't been turned on yet... or they
were dry running (validators on but not the ticket machine). You can't
get booked for not having a ticket if the machine isn't working..

> Also the failure of the on board TMVs to dispense Daily tickets leaves a
> lot to be desired, one would think that the person who dreamed that idea
> up would be a candidate for sacking, a stupid idea.
>
> I was forwarned about this shortcoming after seeing the four corners
> report, so I pre-purchased my next days ticket the night before at
> Flinders Street before heading back to the Motel.

I guess the only good thing to come from the 4 corners report was the
awareness that you should buy your ticket before you travel....

> Apart from the obvious shortcomings of the Metcard system, my viset went
> well except for waiting in the wrong place for a No 1 tram during the
> blockage in Swanston Street at noon on the Wednesday 6th. (mua rally)
cheers
Johann