Re: Freight Question

Are all Australian double stacks articulated??

Well, no.

I live on the east coast, and work at Pennant Hills and have seen five pack
double stack wagons passing by which are solid connections. I have seen a
single double stack saddle wagon on a NR freight carrying a higher then ISO
height container. I have never seen any double stack five pack articulated
wagons, though the NR web site displays them.

Chow Ben.

MarkBau1 wrote in message
<1998051104033100.AAA06480@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>I've never understood why Australia thought it needed double stacks
considering
>the aforementioned axle load restrictions. Even here in the US the axle
load
>problem exists for double stacks although it is not nearly the problem that
it
>is in Oz. Double stacking in the US was primarily designed for the 45, 45,
48.
>53 and now 56 foot domestic containers. These domestic only containers are
much
>lighter per linear foot than the standard ISO 20 and 40 foot containers. In
>fact the US had to build quantities of "stand alone", non articulated cars
for
>the 20/40 footers.
>
>As Australia sees relatively fewer non ISO containers I think the decision
>build double stacks at all was simply a case of "keeping up with the
Joneses"