Re: Freight Question

I've never understood why Australia thought it needed double stacks considering
the aforementioned axle load restrictions. Even here in the US the axle load
problem exists for double stacks although it is not nearly the problem that it
is in Oz. Double stacking in the US was primarily designed for the 45, 45, 48.
53 and now 56 foot domestic containers. These domestic only containers are much
lighter per linear foot than the standard ISO 20 and 40 foot containers. In
fact the US had to build quantities of "stand alone", non articulated cars for
the 20/40 footers.

As Australia sees relatively fewer non ISO containers I think the decision to
build double stacks at all was simply a case of "keeping up with the Joneses"

Surely there are very few, if any, tracks that could take double stacks of 40
Foot ISO that are loaded to capacity.

Question, are all of Australia's double stack's articulated?

Mark.

THE ROCK is dead
Long live THE ROCK!