Re: Swanston ST trams

John McCallum wrote:

>There was an item I heard/read recently where tenders were called for to
>convert said building [the Victoria Street tram signal box] into a cafe or similar business.
>Considering that the ground floor level of the building consisted mostly of
>toilets, there does not seem to be much room left for a cafe, unless take-away
>only.

Believe it or not, a public toilet (old style) in the heart of Courtenay
Place in Wellington (the NZ capital) was converted into a cafe. It is now
known as the Taj (it looks vaguely like the Taj Mahal, it has a dome on
top). Margot and I have often eaten there. Many of Wellington's
trolleybus routes pass by it.

It is on an island in the middle of the road the way the Victoria Street
signal box is, and the whole thing must only be as big as the signal box
(though on one level, not two). So I can certainly see the signal box
becoming a restaurant. The Taj still even has toilets in it (required by
law for NZ restaurants; I presume ditto in Oz).

>On another note, I wonder what will happen to the Batman Avenue Tram Shelter
>when the line is diverted to Flinders Street? This building is also listed.

Good point. Maybe the intention is to re-erect it at the Elizabeth Street
tram terminus (there was a thread here saying the latest Victorian budget
provides for yet another rebuilding of the Elizabeth st terminus. Perhaps
this is what is planned  <g> ).

Dave McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

"While Parliament is in session, no working person's income, nor anyone's
rights and freedoms, are safe from plunder by their elected
representatives."
.-- M.R. Johnson, April 22 1998
"The byelection's over now, Parliament's back in action and nobody will
be safe this time." .-- D.J. McLoughlin, May 5 1998.