Re: Swanston ST trams

In article <354AC57A.61D2@iprolink.co.nz>, Dave McL <davemcl@iprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>> The signalman in Franklin St signal box
>
>When I returned to Melbourne last year to ride the tramway system, I
>noticed the signal box was still there.

>Does it have a National Trust classification, like the W class trams?

>It is most certainly a historic edifice worthy of preservation....

>.... unlike preserving a couple of hundred near-identical pre-1956 trams.

>Dave McLoughlin
>Auckland New Zealand

There was an item I heard/read recently where tenders were called for to
convert said building into a cafe or similar business.
Considering that the ground floor level of the building consisted mostly of
toilets, there does not seem to be much room left for a cafe, unless take-away
only.
I agree it is worth keeping.
On another note, I wonder what will happen to the Batman Avenue Tram Shelter
when the line is diverted to Flinders Street? This building is also listed.

John McCallum